Thursday, February 11, 2010

Good manners and Photography

This does not really true, of course, if you take pictures of dead things. A tree is not likely to get offended if you shoot it at a time when its branches, looks lonely and sad - but a person can.


Maybe you're lurking in the back alleys of a third world city, or perhaps your own, trying to capture a particular mood. You can see an old woman in your sight looks tired and world weary. All the same, there is something you see in her quiet, something noble in its expression, so you shoot it.


Later, you can solve the shots in photo editing software, it gives a good color balance and your friends will admire it. You get the pleasure of your efforts - but what did your model have?


Back in the days when I first started taking pictures, I got on a man coming toward me along a street on a crutch. It was a powerful image, so I thought a god with a Canon I boldly took the shot. The topic was very sorry - and I immediately saw his point: who wants to be immortalizer’s your worst?


When I returned to the darkroom, I threw out the negative and made a promise not to do it again. Should I have asked his permission first? It would not have resolved the situation, and he certainly would have said no. The real point was, what was my original intention to take the shot in the first place? If I had thought about it a little more I could have spared his feelings by taking my shot from behind.


Sometimes you take a snap and honest value of the shot is that the person is not aware of your interest. These images can be large and would be destroyed by going up and announce your intention in advance. Nevertheless, when you have your shots, why not turn to the person and ask if you can take another, this time doing the best you can to take a more flattering version. As in many things, it's the thought that counts, and this holds true here, although they may never see it.


Another proposal that is often appreciated in poorer countries or areas where local people have been assaulted photographically on a daily basis by hordes of tourists, is to offer at least some polite exchange for financial modeling services. This is usually well thought out and it's good for your soul.


As another example: I once carried a photo essay for me at a particular school. Offer a personalized print for each teacher and student was inconvenient for me at the time, so I burned a collection of the best images on a CD and gave it to the principal.


Another time, I shot a dog class and made some small pictures of the ten best pictures and gave them to the coach to go out on the next class.


All this comes under the heading of good manners and good manners are always appreciated. Also, if you want or need to go back and re-shoot, you will find yourself greeted not resist.

No comments: