Monday, March 15, 2010

Fashion destinations that inspire designers

In the Internet age it is all too easy for designers to simply search online for design ideas, bypassing the wealth of inspiration to be found in the real world around them. But a select few fashion designers have taken inspiration from places of historical and cultural interest to mirror a different world instead. We quizzed a few of them about their collections...

Indian designers talk about their latest collections being inspired by national and international locales

Babita Malkani feels that it's the living legacy of the place that interests her the most. She says, "Bhutan has a very old culture to it which really intrigued me. I lived there for a week to understand more of their lifestyle and culture which helped me a lot to put together my collection BOH-AUM for the LFW. What inspired me were the beautiful monasteries that I saw there and of course, the architecture. My accessories were all hand-made for which I took inspiration from that. The architecture of Bhutan imparted a serene and at the same time an effervescent feel to my collection."

Lina Tipnis’s latest collection is based on the largest city in Turkey. She says,"Istanbul is like a dream come true...The culture and heritage that comes alive with the enticing blue mosque to the Ottoman history that adorns the walls of the topkapi and dolmabachie palaces. The intense aroma of the spices, sipping rejuvenating fine Turkish cay while watching the swirling darveshes make it a treat for all the senses. With all this and more, it was time to celebrate the beauty of the place through my collection."

Source : http://www.dnaindia.com/lifestyle/report_fashion-destinations-that-inspire-designers_1358981

No comments: